Last Updated on August 8, 2023 By Emma W. Thomas
An air fryer uses hot air circulation to cook food with a crispy texture, similar to frying, but with less oil. A microwave, on the other hand, uses microwave radiation to heat food quickly. Air fryers provide a different cooking method, while microwaves focus on reheating and cooking rapidly.
Jump To A Section
What Is The Difference Between An Air Fryer And A Microwave?
Here’s a detailed comparison between an air fryer and a microwave presented in a table format:
|Cooking Method||Uses hot air circulation to cook food||Uses microwave radiation to heat food|
|Cooking Results||Produces crispy texture similar to frying||Heats food quickly, but might not crisp|
|Cooking Time||Generally longer than microwaving||Generally faster for reheating|
|Cooking Capabilities||Suitable for frying, baking, roasting||Best for reheating, defrosting|
|Oil Usage||Requires minimal oil for crispy results||No or minimal oil needed for heating|
|Food Texture||Results in crispy exterior, tender interior||Heats food evenly, might not maintain crispiness|
|Versatility||Offers a variety of cooking options||Primarily used for reheating|
|Size and Space||Can be bulky, requires counter space||Compact design, suitable for small kitchens|
|Energy Efficiency||Typically energy-efficient for longer cooking times||Energy-efficient for quick heating|
|Maintenance and Cleaning||Removable parts need cleaning||Easy to clean interior|
|Price Range||Can be relatively more expensive||Generally more affordable|
What Are The Advantages Of Microwave And Air Fryers?
|If you are using a microwave, there are fewer chances of getting burnt. Unlike the other forms of cooking, they will stay cold even after heating the food. Compared to conventional ovens and stoves, it is a convenient option.||It is quite easy-to-clean. The parts of the air fryers are compatible with dishwashing. The parts that we are talking about are the pan, basket, and tray.|
|The radiation of the microwave penetrates the food. Unlike the other heating options, the microwave ensures that the inside of your food is getting heated. And if you stir the food occasionally, it will help you to heat your food evenly.||Air fryers are economical tools. We all know that cooking oil is considered an expensive commodity. And air fryers require a very small amount of cooking oil.|
|Cooking in the microwave eliminates that chance of char and tars formation. It is one of the biggest advantages as those things are carcinogenic. To be precise, microwaves will contribute towards your well-being.||They will not take much space in your kitchen. The size of most of the air fryers is 1 foot. If you compare it with other appliances in your kitchen, you will find out that it is not taking much space.|
|Pre-heating your food in the microwave before grilling it, will reduce your time. It will help you to save a considerable amount of time.||One of the significant benefits of air fryers is that it will provide you with healthy food. Well, the foods cooked in the air fryer consist of fewer fats and calories, which make it a healthy alternative to conventional cooking.|
|Compared to the other forms of cooking, it consumes less energy. Therefore, it is also good for our environment. It helps us in the process of conservation of energy.||You will need less oil if you are planning to cook in an air fryer. It will be both economical as well as healthy for you. Besides, it also ensures that the cleaning of the fryers becomes easy.|
Air fryer vs microwave: which one should you pick
Making the right choice between an air fryer and a microwave can be tricky. Both appliances have their merits and demerits. The ideal choice often depends on your cooking needs and preferences. Let us examine the main differences between the two kitchen appliances to aid your decision:
1. Cooking Method:
Microwaves use radio wave technology to heat food, thus often resulting in uneven cooking. However, the speed of operation gives them an edge over most kitchen appliances.
Air fryers, on the other hand, use rapid air technology for cooking. This method ensures even heat distribution, making the food crisper on the outside and well-cooked on the inside.
2. Healthiness of Food:
Air fryers are known for reducing the fat content in food by up to 75%, making them a healthier alternative when frying is an option.
While microwaves do not add fats to the food, they lack the capability to reduce existing fat in the food like an air fryer.
Microwaves can defrost, reheat, bake and cook a variety of foods, making it versatile.
Air fryers also have a range of functions. They can grill, roast, bake, and, most importantly, fry, providing an almost oil-less cooking experience.
|Cooking Method||Uses rapid air technology||Uses radio wave technology|
|Healthiness of Food||Reduces fat content in food||Does not add fats to food|
|Versatility||Can grill, roast, bake, and fry||Can defrost, reheat, bake and cook|
4. Flavor and Texture of Food:
Food cooked in an air fryer often has a rich flavor, comparable to deep-fried food, without excessive oil. The rapid air technology ensures the food is crispy on the outside.
Microwaved food, while cooked faster, may lack the flavor and crispness of air fryer-cooked foods.
5. Cost and Space:
Microwaves are generally more affordable and take up less space, making them a relatively budget-friendly and convenient option for tight spaces.
Air fryers are typically more expensive and might take up more space on the counter. However, they are worth considering for their healthier and flavor-rich cooking.
In conclusion, the choice between an air fryer and a microwave largely depends on your cooking preferences and needs. If reduced-fat content, rich flavor, and crispy texture are a priority, an air fryer could be a better pick. However, if quick cooking and reheating are more critical, along with the cost, a microwave would be the more suitable choice.
What We Have To Consider While Using A Microwave Oven?
Before using a microwave oven, you have to consider some points. If you can consider those points, you will get the best results. So, here are the things that you need to keep in mind.
- Make certain that the containers you are using are compatible with microwaves. For instance, some of the materials that you can use are ceramic bowls, glass, and microwave-friendly plastics.
- If you are cooking in a microwave, don’t forget to stir the food occasionally. It will ensure that the heat is reaching every section of the food.
- Keep on heating until the food is bubbly or steamy. To reach that state, all you need to do is to wait for 2-3 minutes. It will not take more than 2-3 minutes to heat your food.
- Cover your food while heating it in the microwave oven. It is one of the most significant points that you have to take into account. If you don’t cover the food while heating, there is a possibility that it will explode.
- Clean your microwave oven at regular intervals. It will keep your microwave working for a long time. Clean the bottom, sides, and top of the microwave. If bits of food stay in the microwave, it will drop back to your food, next time when you are heating.
What Are Some Of The Points That We Need To Follow To Get The Best Results From An Air Fryer?
Like the microwave, there are some points on the air fryer that you need to keep in mind. Considering those points will help you to extract the best result from an air fryer. To be precise, you can heat your food evenly inside the fryer if you follow these points.
- While using the air fryer, shaking the food is imperative. Open the air fryer and jiggle the food when you are frying them in the basket. Well, to get the best results, make sure to rotate them every 5-10 minutes.
- Using a light cooking spray will also help you. Hence, if you use a light spray on your food, it will be considered a good idea. Instead of the spray, you can use a small amount of oil as well. It will help you to avoid the sticking of the food.
- Overcrowding your air fryer will hamper your cooking process. You have to keep in mind that your food will require a lot of space. It will provide you with crispy food, which is the best result to get from an air fryer.
- We live under the misapprehension that the only purpose of an air fryer is frying. However, there are other cooking forms that you can accomplish with the help of this air fryer. For instance, it is compatible with healthy forms of cooking such as roasting, baking, and grilling. All you have to do is to master the other forms of cooking.
- Keep your air fryer dry. It will help you to avoid excess smoke and splattering. Also, whenever you are cooking high-fat foods, don’t forget to remove the fat from the bottom of the fryer.
Both air fryers and microwaves are convenient kitchen appliances. You can use them not only for heating your food, but it will also help you in the process of cooking. Besides, both of them will help you to save a significant amount of time. Also, they are economical and will help you to save money.
Emma is a graduate of Domestic Science or Family and Consumer Sciences (Home Economics) from the University of Wisconsin. She has 7 years of experience Working with the strategic section of BestBuy and now writing full-time for Homeeon.
From Managing the Home, Interiors, Cleaning, and Exteriors to Gardening and everything about Making A Home Liveable – is her passion and this Homeeon is the result of this.
Emma loves decorating her home with the best stuff found online. She cares about quality over anything and writes reviews about them here in Homeeon. Get in touch with her over Pinterest.
Keep reading her blogs.