Are you worried about how to fix a minor crack on your phone screen? You can use toothpaste to hide the screen’s scratch. This method is also referred to as filling the screen since it fills the crack, making it invisible. Using toothpaste is a home remedy that only makes the scratch disappear after completing the process. Sometimes, you may have to consult the experts if the process fails.
Steps To Follow When Fixing A Cracked Screen Using Toothpaste
Follow these steps to repair a cracked phone screen using toothpaste;
1. Place the phone on a stand covered with a towel, with the phone screen facing upwards
2. With a lot of compressed air, blow over the whole screen. In this case, you can use a hair blow-drier.
3. Blowing air over the screen attracts dust. Use a clean and soft towel to wipe out the screen edges and then blow the screen with the edges’ compressed air.
4. Carefully apply a thick layer of toothpaste on a cotton swab. Remove the excess toothpaste running on the cotton swab sides using a finger to avoid blocking any phone’s opening by the toothpaste. Wash your hands immediately after using the fingers to wipe off the paste
5. With the cotton swab on the right side and the phone on the left hand, put the tip covered with paste on the screen from the left side that has the crack
6. Apply the paste gently on the phone such that the screen is completely covered with toothpaste
7. After the whole screen is fully covered with paste, gently remove the cotton swab and dispose of it
8. Allow the toothpaste to remain on the phone for a short period
9. After few minutes, clean the screen using a soft cloth and wipe off all the toothpaste
10. Check whether the crack is still appearing on the screen. Mostly after this process, the crack becomes invisible. If the scratch persists, repeat the procedure carefully and attentively
Other Methods Of Fixing A Cracked Phone Screen
Toothpaste does not necessarily fix the cracks but rather hides them such that they become invisible. It is advisable to use very small toothpaste proportions to avoid blocking openings such as the earphone and charging plugs and other parts that may be vulnerable. Other methods to fix minor screens include;
Just like the toothpaste, vegetable oil does not completely fix the scratch. This method is the least effective. You apply a dab of vegetable oil on the broken surface, and it disappears. This method is only applicable to minor scratches on the phone screen. However, this is not the best option since oil is very runny and can easily find its way into the phone’s crannies and nooks. When put in the pocket, the oil will disperse, leaving an even greater mess with the scratch still there.
You can use a plastic bag as an alternative to a screen protector if you cannot afford it.
This method involves wrapping the plastic bag all-round the phone as it stops the screen problem from getting worse.
Using sandpaper on your phone screen requires great courage and care. It involves sanding down any small mark on the phone screen using sandpaper or a grinding machine. Make sure that you are careful to avoid scratching out the entire phone screen.
This process is almost similar to using toothpaste as you will need to make a paste from baking soda and water. Follow the same steps as using toothpaste to solve the problem.
Using car wax is another alternative to toothpaste. It is preferable as it leaves the phone with a sleek feel. Phone scratch repaired using car wax are long-lasting compared to ones repaired using toothpaste.
All these are just temporary solutions whereby in case they fail; you can visit a professional to fix and, in most cases, replace the screen.
Can Toothpaste Damage My Phone Screen?
Toothpaste and baking soda are both abrasive compounds that can scrab out the outer layer of the screen. These substances make the phone look less scratched, and sometimes the scratches disappear completely. At first, the process may be harmless, but more serious screen-related problems may arise in the long run. Your phone may lose the ability to sense touch, or a non-attractive and blotchy screen is all that is left.
What To Do To A Scratched Phone?
Instead of using the home remedies that could lead to a more serious screen problem, you can consider using a screen protector. This process involves applying a plastic screen on top of the main screen to act as a protector. This alternative helps to hide the scratch as well as protecting the phone from more damages. Other than the plastic protector, there are also glass tampered protectors that are even better since a fresh glass layer is applied on the screen.
Unlike the plastic protector, the phone’s scratches can only be seen but cannot be felt when using the phone. Before using a screen protector, ensure that you clean the phone with less abrasive cleaners and products such as winex. Doing this will help to prevent further damage to the screen.
Another option that many people avoid is getting a replacement for the screen because the cost involved is very high. However, using an iFixit guide, you can replace the screen yourself, which is relatively cheap. You will need to have the necessary tools and the new screen to use as the replacement. Alternatively, if you are using iPhone, you can have the screens replaced by Apple at a premium with high-quality parts and a highly trained professional.
You may also decide to ignore the scratch if it does not alter the phone’s normal functioning. If the screen has a few blemishes, you can continue to use it the way it is.
What Are The Implications Of Using A Damaged Phone Screen?
1. A broken phone screen can cause health hazards since it can emit radioactive elements considered to be cancerous.
2. When using a broken phone screen, one may cut their finger from the broken glass fragments.
3. Broken screens cause strain to the eyes, especially the broken parts, which have a low definition display
4. They also invalidate some unique phone features such as water resistance, making them prone to further damage. The phone’s inner parts are susceptible to damage, which could cause the total malfunctioning of the phone.
What To Consider When Using Toothpaste To Repair A Cracked Phone Screen
Toothpaste repairs phone cracks by cutting away a layer of scratch, making the scratch look less deep. Some kinds of toothpaste have harsh abrasive agents. Such kinds of toothpaste should be avoided because they strip off layers of the phone screen when applied. Your phone could lose a sense of touch to the phone screen. It would help if you considered using toothpaste with less abrasive agents that will be gentle on the phone screen to avoid additional scratches that may leave the phone with an unpleasant look.
Pros And Cons Of Using Toothpaste To Repair Cracked Phone Screen
1. Using toothpaste to repair the screen is cheap and affordable compared to replacing the screen or buying a new phone.
2. Toothpaste is available in almost all households, unlike buying a new screen. Some phones are very expensive, and repairing the cracked screen is the best option.
3. Repairing the phone screen using toothpaste is easier than replacing it since a long process is involved. Replacing the screen takes a long time since one has to take off the entire screen and replace it with a new one.
4. Toothpaste has zero or very little effect on the phone screen, whereas replacing the screen may cause changes to the screen functionality because toothpaste does not affect any other phone parts.
1. Replacing the screen involves opening up the entire phone, which may cause physical damage to the phone’s internal parts. It may also affect the functionality since not all screens are compatible with the phone. Cause damage to the screen’s sensitivity to touch.
2. Despite the many advantages of using toothpaste to repair a cracked phone screen, it has limited use because it is only applicable to minor scratches and cracks. Large cracks will require screen replacement or better buying a new phone.
3. Toothpaste serves as a temporary solution as it only makes the cracks disappear. It does not guarantee future protection for the screen. In this case, it is advisable to use screen protectors to provide extra protection to the phone.
Using toothpaste is one way of fixing a broken phone screen. However, this is determined by the extent of the damage since only minor damages such as scratch can be fixed using toothpaste. Other products used to fix scratched phone screens, such as vegetable oil and sandpaper, are used to scrape out the scratch. It is advisable to replace the damaged phone screen. If it’s unaffordable, you can also use a screen protector, which may help safeguard the phone screen from further damage and hide the scratches.