The garage door motor costs $220-$520, or even up to &825 to replace. You will pay about $50-$500 for the system, $50-$75 to rent parts and equipment for fixing, and $65-$85 per hour for labor. It will take between 2 and 6 hours to replace the motor; therefore, the charges may vary based on time, model, brand, and horsepower rating.
A contractor can do a replacement if you cannot fix it yourself. And, since there are different garage motors when yours break, you should replace it with the same type and brand or consider another style.
You will need to make the replacement as soon as garage door motors break or develop different problems after some time.
What Is The Cost Of The Installation Of A Garage Door Motor?
Generally, the cost of installing a garage door motor varies depending on the type of motor you want and who you hire to do the installation. On average, the breakdown is as follows:
1. Garage-door motor cost: 50-500 dollars
2. Average installation cost: 250-500 dollars
3. The Home Depot installation: 127+ dollars
4. Lowe’s door and opener installation: 199-599 dollars.
Garage Door Motor Prices By Type
What Determines The Cost Of The Replacement Of A Garage Door Motor?
The amount you will be charged for the replacement or installation of your garage door motor will depend on various factors highlighted below:
1. Where you live, if you stay in one of the major cities, you will pay a higher fee for the replacement and installation of the garage door motors.
2. The number of jobs at hand. Some motors will be easy and quick to replace; others will take a lot of time to fix and thus cost more.
4. The style of door that you have installed
How Hard Is Installing A Garage Door Motor?
Most garage door motors are easy to install since they come with a manual. If you are replacing a garage door motor, it is advisable to get similar to the broken one. When the two motors are the same, i.e., broken and new motor, it is easy to replace since the parts are all the same.
The sophisticated motors will require you to either be ready to commit hours of your day to figure it out or get a professional to do the job. You may consider installing smart garage openers to ease the opening and closing of the garage. As such, you will require a professional to handle the installation or replacement.
What Are The Different Types Of Garage Door Motors Available?
Garage door motors come in different types and brands. When you don’t know what to get for your garage, you must consult a professional at your local hardware or home depot store.
That said, below, we discuss the three main types of garage door motors.
1. Belt-driven Garage Door Motors.
Belt-driven garage door motors run on a rubber belt and are as reliable as chains. The motor is mounted at the center of the garage door and attached to the door with a hockey arm connector.
This type of motor is usually very silent during operation. If you like a quiet home, this works well for you, especially when the garage is attached to the main house. However, these motors are expensive compared to the other garage door motors. Though, they come in different sizes that dictate the exact price.
Some of its main features include:
1. Soft start and stop
2. Can operate larger doors
3. It comes with two remotes
4. Seven-year warranty as standard
2. Chain-driven Garage Door Motors
These garage door motors operate like belt-driven motors. With the chain being the main part that works to open the garage door, the motor is very noisy. The chain is well hidden and cannot be easily noticed until it moves.
The chain-driven door motor is more cost-effective, and when they break down, the replacement parts are easily and readily available.
Chain-driven motors are center-mounted and attached to the garage door. You also get to choose one from the different brands and models.
3. Direct Drive Garage Doors Motors
The main difference between direct drive garage motors and belt or chain-driven garage motors is that it drives direct to the torsion springs. There is no belt or chain in this motor. It is positioned at the side of your garage door and is barely noticeable.
With these motors, you are limited to the types you can get. The parts that make it up are also not readily available. However, this should not be a major concern as the motor has few breakable parts.
The direct drive door motors are best for roller doors as well as sectional garage doors
What Can Cause Damage To A Garage Door Motor?
1. Broken Cables
The wire cables that assist in lifting open your garage door and lowering it shut might break. The breakage is mainly caused by wear and tear that happens over time due to usage. When the cables break, the garage door’s weight is exacted on the motor. The remaining cables can also lead to the destruction of the motor.
It would help to check the cable condition to prevent motor failure periodically.
2. Misaligned Track
Garage doors move on a track set to hold them in place as they go up and down. When this track is not in position, the garage door will try and force itself through it. As a result, the motor exerts itself to move the door past the misaligned track.
Forcing the garage door to pass via a damaged track will destroy your motor since it is built only to lift the garage weight. The motor should not try to lift a heavier load than required.
3. Worn Out Hardware
Like any other machine pulling and pushing the garage door to close and open will cause some wear and tear over time that affects the motor. You should regularly grease any moving parts to reduce friction that can damage the garage door.
If the parts are completely worn out, you should replace them to ensure that the garage door works efficiently and there is no threat to the motor.
4. Severe Weather
Most states in the United States of America experience extreme weather conditions once in a while. The weather damages the garage door itself, and then the damage caused to the door moves onto you the motor causing it to fail.
5. Lack Of Maintenance
You have to ensure any equipment or machine is in the best condition for you to get the best services. Motors can develop a problem that slowly grows and finally comes breakdown calling for a replacement. Though it will break after some time, regular maintenance enhances its lifespan.
How To Maintain And Take Care Of Your Garage Door Motor
Garage doors have many moving parts, but the main part is the motor. A garage door motor has a long life; it can give you service for about 10 to 15 years depending on the make and how well you maintain it.
To get the best out of your door opener, you must maintain the garage door.
Some of these maintenance tasks include:
1. Track adjustment. The garage door track needs to be well put to ensure the opening and closing of the garage are smooth without the door moving off track.
2. Track lubrication. When the garage door track is not lubricated, closing and opening the door can be tasking to the motor. Continuous usage of this grease-free track can cause damage to your opener.
3. Repair of dents and scratches. Dents on your garage door can cause the door to hang or get caught stuck as it moves up and down. The motor will strain as it tries to get the garage door unstuck. This strain can cause damage to your motor.
4. Resetting your motor. After many years of using the same opener, some complications can come up due to wear and tear or other problems. Resetting the opener can reconfigure it back to its default settings.
5. Tightening all fixtures and fittings. The garage door and every moving part, including the motor, should all be at their best. When one part of the whole system malfunctions, it will cause damage to the good parts. So, always ensure all the fixtures and fitting are tightened well.
The cost of replacing a garage door motor is relatively low compared to buying a new door. Luckily, the garage door motors have a long life span of about 10 to 15 years before they need to be a replacement. But, if you do not do regular maintenance, it can break down before its lifespan. So, to avoid frequent repairs and replacements, carry out routine maintenance practices on the motor.