A garage door opener is an important tool when setting up your dream home. But people often ignore it and suffer in the future. It’s not only a convenience feature but also a very important device, especially if it’s raining or snowing outside. A good garage door opener will last years, maybe even a lifetime. So it is logical to spend a little extra effort and money making the best choice possible and avoid cheap garage doors. But how do you know you are getting the right opener for your Garage Door? Don’t worry. We have created this buyer’s guide to help you make the right choices and decisions before you buy your garage door opener.
Garage Door Opener Price Range
There are three types of garage door openers. They are:
- Chain drive
- Belt drive
- Screw drive
Each garage door opener has its own advantages and disadvantages, and prices. The price differs from model to model; you may have to pay between $130 and $350 for a garage door opener, with most models costing an average of $200. The most expensive openers come with extra accessories and smartphone controls. The types of garage door openers in increasing order of average cost are as follows: chain, belt, and screw.
Things to Consider While Buying a Garage Door
There are different factors that you have to consider before buying a garage door opener. The garage door openers are available in different styles and sizes. If you want to buy a door opener that best meets your needs then it is important to pay attention to these topics that I have stated below.
If you want to replace your existing garage door opener then it will be a very simple task for you. The easiest way to find a new door opener with the right horsepower is to check the rating of the unit in your garage and get something with an equal or higher power. The most affordable type of garage doors are single- and double-car sectional garage doors made of aluminum or steel. These doors are relatively light, so a motor with a rating of 1/2 horsepower is more than sufficient. There are 1/3 horsepower motors are available and they can open the garage door faster than those with 1/2 horsepower. So it’s a good idea to invest a little extra for a more capable garage door opener.
If you have an oversized door made of a heavier material then you will need something stronger. In those cases, look for a garage door opener motor rated between 3/4 horsepower and 2 horsepower. There is no law that says you can’t use a heavy opener on a smaller door. However, a higher-horsepower door opener will cost more.
Lift systems play a very important role while selecting your garage door opener. The lift system determines how smoothly and quietly an opener moves the garage door. Residential garage door openers usually use one of three lift systems: chain, belt, or screw. One is not ineludible better than the others, but they each have their own lifting strengths.
- Chain: A chain-driven lift system has a durable steel chain. It is quite similar to a bicycle. This type of system is very reliable. However, they produce quite a loud sound. It is the most common lift system for garage doors and its price is more affordable than others. The average price of this kind of garage door opener is $167.
- Belt: A belt-driven lift system uses a reinforced rubber belt, which reduces vibration. This type of door opener is much quieter than a typical chain-driven system. Belt lift systems are the second most common type and its price is also reasonable. The average price of this kind of garage door opener is $230.
- Screw: Screw-driven lift systems attach a long screw to the motor to move the garage door. This kind of door opener is powerful, fast, and relatively quiet. Moreover, it requires less maintenance than typical chain- or belt-driven systems. Genie and Overhead Door are two popular brands that make screw-driven systems. The average price of this kind of garage door opener is $244.
There are three safety features available in garage door openers. They are:
- Automatic reverse
- Infrared beam sensors
- Motion sensor lighting
Most garage door openers come with two primary safety features: automatic reverse and infrared beam sensors. First two safety features allow the garage door opener to detect if a person or object is blocking the door while closing. If it detects anything, the motor will reverse direction to prevent an accident. Moreover, these features prevent the door from moving until the obstacle has been removed from the door’s path. The third safety feature light up the garage automatically to help you move between your car and the house.
Security is another important aspect that you have to take seriously when buying your opener. Garage door openers have two standard security features:
- Rolling codes
- Lock mode
Rolling codes are much safer as it allows the remote in your car to communicate with the door opener using a unique verification code that changes every time. It diminishes the chance of someone could intercept the code and use it later to enter your home.
When you buy a door opener, look for one that comes with the controllers you need. If you have multiple vehicles, make sure you get a remote for each car that uses the garage. Most of the garage door opener comes with two remote controls.
Keypads allow you to type in a code to control the door from outside, although not all door opener models have keypads. Keypads are not a very important feature but it can make it easier to open and close the door very easily from outside while working on lane or yard.
A Smartphone control not only makes it easier to use your garage door but also lets you check if the door is still open when you’re not at home. If you want to control your garage door opener with a smartphone, then you will need Wi-Fi. There are two options available: built-in Wi-Fi or a separate Wi-Fi adapter. Most garage door opener companies sell models with built-in Wi-Fi; however, these are more expensive than models without Wi-Fi.
There are three types of warranty available for the garage door opener. They are:
- Motor Warranty: The motor is the most important element in a garage door opener. It has longer warranty coverage than other parts. Most garage door openers have lifetime motor warranties. So check the available warranty of the motor while buying the opener.
- Lift System Warranty: LiftMaster and Chamberlain offer lifetime warranties on belts and chains. While most other companies cover belts and chains for between one and three years. These components are covered for less time because you can replace them without buying an entirely new garage door opener.
- Parts Warranty: The parts warranty covers other components of a garage door opener like remotes, wall switches, keypads, etc. The parts warranty may last one to five years depending on garage door opener models and manufacture companies.
It is very important to make the right choice on the basis of the type and weight of your garage door. If you are not sure about the best door opener for your garage then consult a professional garage door expert. He will help you select the best opener for your garage door.
Latest posts by Emma W. Thomas (see all)
- 10 Bad Cleaning Habits You Need to Break - September 15, 2019
- The Ultimate Home Maintenance Checklist - September 14, 2019
- 10 Quick and Easy Ways to Refresh Your Home on a Budget - September 12, 2019