Shopping is always overwhelming and when buying vacuum cleaners, it can be confusing too. There is a lot to consider while selecting your vacuum-like price range, models, features, specifications, etc. So it can be a bit of a hustle to find Which is The Better Vacuum Cleaners for your home. Regardless of the features or brand, you may have in mind, the best practice is to start with the basics. There are two basic design categories for vacuum cleaners. They are:
- Upright Vacuum Cleaner
- Canister Vacuum Cleaner
Upright vacuum cleaners have been the most common type of vacuum cleaners in the USA. However, nowadays households are choosing canister vacuum cleaners instead. This article will show you the pros and cons of both types of vacuum cleaners, to help you make the right decision based on your needs.
Upright Vacuum Cleaners – Pros & Cons
The design of upright vacuum cleaners is more traditional and very popular among users. It has a handle at the top and the motor and suction head at the bottom. There is a compartment in the middle where the rubbish is deposited when it is picked up by the suction head. You have to grasp the vacuum by the handle and move the suction head of the vacuum cleaner around your home to collect dust.
Pros of Upright Vacuum Cleaners
- The price of upright vacuum cleaners is reasonable. An upright vacuum cleaner is cheaper than a canister vacuum cleaner.
- Upright vacuum cleaners use motorized brushes. They are perfect for cleaning thick carpets and rugs.
- You can easily control the transition between bare floors and carpets with your foot.
- If there is no hose attached to your vacuum, you don’t have to bend your back.
- You can easily store an upright vacuum cleaner, as there are no accessories to dismount and put away.
- You can use this vacuum without any prior preparations.
- Upright vacuum cleaners have a wider cleaning path.
Cons of Upright Vacuum Cleaners
- There is no good sound insulation in an upright vacuum cleaner. Therefore upright vacuum cleaner is noisier than canister vacuum cleaners.
- Weight is another concern of an upright vacuum cleaner. They can weigh up to 20 pounds. So it is difficult to drag back and forth in the entire house. They are also a lot harder to carry on the stairs.
- They are less operative when cleaning corners or hard-to-reach places, even if some models are now equipped with a small hose for these purposes.
Canister Vacuum Cleaners – Pros & Cons
A canister vacuum cleaner is an alternative to the traditional upright vacuum cleaners. The design methodology for canister vacuum cleaners is a wand ending in a cleaning nozzle, which is linked to the vacuum unit by a hose. The vacuum unit contains the engine, filter, and dust bags. There are wheels in canister cleaners so you can easily drag it around the house. This vacuum unit is called the canister and the vacuum cleaner is named after it.
Pros of Canister Vacuum Cleaners
- A Canister vacuum cleaner is more powerful than an upright vacuum cleaner. This is because there is no engine size limitation in this cleaner. They have better suction and flow rate. This means this cleaner provides easier and faster cleaning, specifically for bare floors.
- Canister vacuum cleaners are lighter than an upright vacuum cleaners and easier to carry.
- Canister vacuum cleaners have better maneuverability. With the attached hose they are more practical to clean stairs and other places than an upright vacuum cleaner.
- You only need to move the wand when cleaning so canister vacuum cleaners are easy to operate. You can move the cleaner more easily on stairs or tight spaces.
- There is good sound insulation in a canister vacuum cleaner. Therefore canister vacuum cleaner is more silent than upright vacuum cleaners.
- They can be equipped with a variety of tools like crevice nozzle, upholstery brush, and even mechanized brush to increase their efficiency on carpets and rugs. That makes them very versatile.
Cons of Canister Vacuum Cleaners
- You need some preparation before you can use Canister vacuum cleaners. You have to assemble accessories before you can use them. So they are not perfect for quick use.
- The storage is a bit tricky for canister vacuum cleaners. The hose and wand make it harder for canister vacuum cleaners to fit in a small closet. You have to disassemble the hose and wand to fit it in.
- You have to drug the canister while cleaning. This can damage the furniture or walls as you move. Moreover, the cleaner may get stuck with power cords and thick carpets if the canister wheels are too small.
- You have to bend over a lot when using a canister vacuum cleaner. So it is not suitable for people with back pains.
Which is The Better Vacuum Cleaners A Short Video
Finally, which vacuum cleaner is best for you to depend on what type of cleaning you will do with your vacuum cleaner and what you are looking for in a vacuum cleaner? If your flooring has thick carpets or rugs then the upright cleaner will be the best option for you. On the other hand, if your house has hard flooring and low pile carpets, then a canister vacuum cleaner is the right solution for you. Now the choice is yours!