Last Updated on August 9, 2023 By Emma W. Thomas
Yes, you can wash Converse sneakers in a washing machine. Use a gentle cycle with cold water and place them inside a pillowcase or laundry bag to protect them. Avoid using harsh detergents. Air dry them but keep them away from direct sunlight or heat sources to prevent damage.
Jump To A Section
How to Wash Converse In The Washing Machine
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to wash Converse sneakers in the washing machine:
- Remove the shoelaces and insoles from the Converse sneakers. You can wash the laces separately by placing them in a mesh laundry bag.
- If there’s excessive dirt or debris on the sneakers, gently brush or shake it off.
- Protect the Shoes:
- To prevent the sneakers from getting battered inside the washing machine, place each shoe inside an old pillowcase or a specialized shoe laundry bag. This helps cushion and protect them during the washing process.
- Choose the Right Cycle:
- Use a gentle cycle with cold water to avoid excessive agitation that could damage the shoes.
- Avoid using harsh detergents or bleach, as these can fade colors or damage the fabric.
- Add Towels:
- Adding a few towels to the load can help balance the washing machine and reduce the impact on the sneakers.
- Start the washing machine and let it run through the cycle. Be present when the cycle finishes to prevent the shoes from sitting in the machine for too long.
- After washing, remove the sneakers from the pillowcases or shoe bags.
- Stuff the shoes with paper towels or newspaper to help them retain their shape and absorb excess moisture.
- Let them air dry naturally, away from direct sunlight or heat sources, which could warp the rubber or fabric.
- The drying process might take a day or more, depending on humidity levels.
- Once the sneakers are completely dry, reinsert the insoles and re-lace them.
Important Points to Note:
- Not all Converse shoes are suitable for machine washing. Check the care label or manufacturer’s recommendations before proceeding.
- Frequent machine washing can cause the design and color to fade faster, so consider this before cleaning.
- This method is best for fabric Converse shoes. Leather or suede Converse may require specialized cleaning methods.
Things To Take Into Consideration When Cleaning Your Converse
1. The Material/ The Fabric:
This particular trait also vividly gives the user an idea regarding the longevity of the Converse. This type of footwear is mainly available in four different types of fabric. It includes mesh, leather, suede, and canvas. They all feature premium quality fabrics. The best way to protect and elongate your Converse’s life is by using an extra layer of protection to it.
Multiple sneaker protectors are readily available in the market today. For instance, you can use the Crep sneaker protector to dually protect and keep your Converse white and clean for as long as possible. When you use a sneaker protector, the procedure to clean it enjoys a level down. All sorts of marks, stains, and scuffs can get erased quite easily. Another advantage of using a sneaker protector is, the time is taken to clean; it also gets impressively reduced.
2. Yes, The Day You Clean It Matters:
Have you piled up on plenty of sneakers/Converse to get them cleaned? If the answer is a ‘Yes,’ make sure you become pretty aware of the day you clean it. With the number of sneakers, the weather of the day you intend to clean it matters equally. For instance, if you own Converse pairs that carry fabric of mesh or canvas, it would be a sensible choice to clean them on dry and sunny days. On the other hand, if the Converse fabric flaunts a leather material, it dries off more quickly and is more repellent to water.
3. Let’s Washing Machine Clean It:
After a long day after work, you would not want to wash your Converse at all, but you can always machine wash them. When you have worn your Converse for a week or two, it’s time you get them cleaned. Tossing them into the washing machine can get the job done pretty well. There exist some important points that you should be aware of before incorporating this procedure.
a) Firstly, make sure that you wash your Converse separately.
b) Secondly, do not forget to air dry it.
c) Thirdly, make sure that you get them machine washed on a dry, sunny day as you would not want to cause the mildew effect on them.
Multiple experts advise that placing your Converse/ sneaker beside a heater in the winter and on the window during the summer boosts the drying effect by 50% more.
4. Be Aware Before You Pour In the Chemicals:
Plenty of harsh detergent powders, as well as liquid washes, are available in the market that can make your Converse look spotless within seconds. But, the question that lingers is, how sound are their effects on the Converse’s fabric? Be cautious enough to the back of these washes thoroughly.
If you intend to wash a pair of white Converse, ascertain that the chemical composition you will dip it into does not contain any amount of bleach in it. Why? Well, bleach will turn your white canvas Converse or mesh Converse into an undesirable and dingy yellow color. This effect can have a doubling effect if this fabric type Converse is left to dry directly under the sun.
5. The Magic Of Creativity:
Cleaning and maintaining products can be done more efficiently if backed by a certain level of creativity. Instead of always following the ordinary procedure of cleaning your Converse, why not clean it with a toothbrush after it was dipped in some dish soap or hand liquid soap.
Trust me when I say that the results were pretty satisfactory. The efforts were a bare minimum and the time taken to make it look spotless was also significantly less. This iota of creativity also fits your pocket pinch pretty well as you would not have to shop for an expensive cleaner any longer.
Is Washing Your Converse In The Washing Machine Beneficial?
Let’s Discuss Its Pros And Cons At A Glance:
|It will save you a lot of time and effort.||If the settings are not right, it can ruin the fabric of the converse.|
|When those dirty converse shoes are put inside a washing machine, it can wash off even the most stubborn marks it carries.||Make sure to put your converse in a pillowcase or any similar case; the cleaning process can damage the washing machine’s drum.|
|Today most washing machines can clean and dry your converse shoes with just the press of a button, leading to hassle-free cleaning.||After the cleaning and the drying procedure, if the converse is not left to dry out in the sun, it can lead to a mildew effect.|
How To Hand Wash Your Converse Shoes:
- Get rid of the shoelaces.
- Soak your Converse in some cold water. It prepares the Converse for getting washing. This step also exclusively protects the fabric of the Converse.
- Make your wash mix. Add a proportionate ratio of white vinegar, baking soda, and detergent. You can even use laundry detergent in place of the white vinegar. Do whatever suits you best.
- Now, using a gentle brush, spread the wash mix all over and clean it efficiently without missing a single spot.
- Use cold water again to rinse off the wash mix.
- Air-dry it in the dry, sunny weather.
- Resultant: You got a fresh-smelling, clean, and tidy Converse shoe by spending a bare minimum on it.
When you purchase a shoe, you need to keep it clean and maintain it well too. Some care mixed with the right amount of maintenance can impressively extend the life of your favorite pair of Converse.
Emma is a graduate of Domestic Science or Family and Consumer Sciences (Home Economics) from the University of Wisconsin. She has 7 years of experience Working with the strategic section of BestBuy and now writing full-time for Homeeon.
From Managing the Home, Interiors, Cleaning, and Exteriors to Gardening and everything about Making A Home Liveable – is her passion and this Homeeon is the result of this.
Emma loves decorating her home with the best stuff found online. She cares about quality over anything and writes reviews about them here in Homeeon. Get in touch with her over Pinterest.
Keep reading her blogs.