Last Updated on August 7, 2023 By Emma W. Thomas
The cost of rough-in plumbing for a bathroom typically ranges from $2,000 to $10,000, depending on factors like location, complexity of the plumbing layout, materials used, and labor charges.
Jump To A Section
Bathroom Remodel Plumbing Cost
|Average||$2,000 – $10,000|
Cost Of Plumbing A Bathroom As Per The Kind Of Fixture
Showers are standard fixtures in most bathrooms. The cost of installing showers depends on the type for example if you tile with porcelain or ceramic, it will have a different price from acrylic. The minimum plumbing involves a showerhead, valve, and drain. You may also ask your plumber to fix enclosures, body sprays, and performance shower features.
A significant part of plumbing a bathroom is installing new fixtures. A larger bathroom requires more fixtures than a small one leading to a higher cost. This cost is determined by the materials used and their quality. Each fixture has its purchase and installation costs as explained here;
There are many styles, sizes, and configurations of bathroom faucets. There are both small center-set faucets and sophisticated waterfall fixtures that have LED lights. You may get faucets from plumbers or buy from supply stores. The cost of taps and their installation ranges from $225 to $475.
Installation Of Sink
There are varieties of bathroom sinks to choose from, and each comes with a different cost. You may select wall-hang, pedestal, consoles, or sinks installed in a vanity. These sinks come in various styles and materials, giving a wide range of costs from $300 to $5,500 on average. Drop-in sinks in a vanity have the lowest price, while console sinks have the highest price.
Cost Of Installing Toilet
Each bathroom requires a toilet, and there are a variety of these fixtures to choose from. You can pick a one-piece, two-piece, elongated, round-front, or pressure-assisted toilet for water-saving when flushing. Depending on the material, color, make, or model, toilet fixtures have a wide range of costs. But, on average, the value of the toilet and its installation ranges between $350 and $3,500.
Installation Of A Bathtub
There are also various options when it comes to bathtubs depending on your taste and bathroom size. The cost of bathtubs ranges from $ 1,500 to $2,900 depending on the size and model. You can get a small fixture or alcove installation. They may include a stand-alone or shower model that has an air bath and chromotherapy.
Cost Of Installing A Bidet
Bidets are becoming popular with the majority of people choosing to have them in their bathrooms. The fixtures let you replace toilet paper, keep you tidy, and reduce the environmental impact. There are a few models of bidets you can choose from including floor and wall-mounted as well as different faucet configurations. Bidets costs and their installations range from $500 to $2,750.
Installation Of Shower
You can call in other experts to do waterproofing, tile, and flooring. A plumber charges an average of between $1,500 and $3,500 to install a shower enclosure.
Rough-In Plumbing Cost Breakdown and Factors
Rough-in plumbing for a bathroom involves installing the basic plumbing infrastructure before finishing walls and adding fixtures. The cost breakdown and factors influencing the expense include:
- Labor Costs:
- Labor charges account for a significant portion of the total cost. Plumbers typically charge an hourly rate, which varies by location and experience.
- On average, labor costs range from $45 to $150 per hour, depending on the region.
- The type and quantity of materials required impact the cost. This includes pipes, fittings, valves, and other plumbing components.
- For a basic bathroom rough-in, materials may cost between $300 to $800.
- Bathroom Size and Complexity:
- Larger bathrooms with more fixtures (e.g., additional sinks, toilets, or showers) require more materials and labor, increasing the overall cost.
- Complex plumbing layouts with multiple angles and turns can also add to the expense.
- Location and Accessibility:
- Labor costs can vary based on regional differences in pricing and building regulations.
- If the bathroom is in a hard-to-reach area or requires extra effort for installation, it may incur additional charges.
- Fixture Selection:
- The cost of fixtures, such as sinks, toilets, and showers, is separate from rough-in plumbing but still affects the overall bathroom budget.
- Upgrades and Add-ons:
- Upgrading to high-quality or specialized plumbing materials, such as PEX or copper pipes, can increase costs.
- Adding extra features like a jacuzzi tub or steam shower will also add to the expenses.
- Permits and Inspections:
- Depending on local regulations, obtaining permits and scheduling inspections may incur additional costs.
How Much Does It Cost To Move Bathroom Plumbing?
While doing a bathroom remodel, it is common to change the room’s footprint. When you do this, a new space opens up, and the layout works better for your family. The process is not without cost since you will have to pay for different plumbing lines and drains to be moved. It will also cost you to have various fixtures installed.
Here are some of the costs you will incur:
Moving A Washing Machine
If your washing device was in the bathroom and you need it moved, you will require a new line. Running a line to where the washing machine will cost around $160 to $400 while the parts cost $170 to $500. These costs are for plumbing as most plumbers will not handle or install the device.
Relocating A Plumbing Stack
A stacked line helps a plumbing system to vent. The majority of low-flow toilets use the stack line to vent air before flushing. Doing this creates a vacuum to help pull the waste without a lot of water. The cost of relocating a stack lies between $200 and $400 per stack. However, this cost may be higher if your roof is very steep. When the parts are included, the price goes to around $250 to $450.
Cost Of Moving Sink Plumbing
If you are relocating your bathroom sink or you want to add another sink to a wall, a new line has to be installed. Each sink requires three lines with each line costing on average between $80 and $200. The cost of installing a new sink depends on the style and type but ranges from $540 to $6,100.
Cost Of Relocating A Toilet
Moving a toilet requires you to have a new waste and water line. These lines have different sizes and installation types. This process costs between $200 and $400 to move and $550 to $3,900 to install.
Moving a concrete slab is an expensive process since it needs breaking up to reach the plumbing. Besides incurring the cost of running a new line, there are additional labor charges. Depending on the thickness of the slab and the plumbing type, the price ranges from $550 to $1,500.
Relocation Shower Plumbing
If you think of changing the layout of your shower or relocating it entirely, three lines will be moved. These lines are the cold and hot water lines as well as the drains. The cost of moving one line lies between $80 and $200, and the total cost of relocating and installing a new shower on average is $1,740 to $4,100.
What Is Included In Plumbing Rough-In?
There are two types of rough-in, i.e. plumbing and electrical:
A Plumbing Rough-In
This type of rough-in includes running all drain pipes and water supply through bored holes in the studs. It also includes connecting all lines and other framing members. At this stage, however, no fixtures such as faucets or sinks have been installed.
An Electrical Rough-In
This rough-in means that all cables (electrical) have been hauled through the studs. The wires are also pulled through other framing members. They are inserted into ceiling boxes and walls. The outlets, lights, switches, and other gadgets are not fixed.
How Much Does It Cost To Rough-In A Basement Bathroom?
Plumbers charge different rates depending on the region. But on average, a basement bathroom costs from $1,200 to $2,000. Adding a basement bathroom is a massive project that can be complicated at times. The hard part of plumbing this project is the installation of waste, drain, and vent systems.
This work involves hard labor, such as breaking up concrete. You must also ensure that the construction is perfect so that the waste will be carried away without any hitches. The materials for the waste, drain, and vent cost around $250. Basement bathroom plumbing needs to be connected to the existing vent and drain lines in the ceiling and floor to complete the rough-in plumbing.
How to Hire the Right Plumber?
Hiring the right plumber is crucial to ensure quality work and avoid potential issues. Here are steps to help you find and hire the right plumber:
- Research and Recommendations:
- Ask friends, family, or neighbors for recommendations based on their past experiences with plumbers.
- Use online platforms and review websites to read customer feedback and ratings.
- Check Licenses and Insurance:
- Verify that the plumber is licensed and insured. A license indicates they have met the necessary qualifications, and insurance protects you from liability in case of accidents.
- Experience and Specialization:
- Look for plumbers with substantial experience in the specific type of work you need. Some plumbers specialize in residential, commercial, or emergency services.
- Ask for Quotes:
- Obtain detailed quotes from multiple plumbers for the same job. Compare prices, scope of work, and warranty policies.
- Check References:
- Request references from past clients. Contact them to inquire about their satisfaction with the plumber’s work and professionalism.
- Online Presence and Reputation:
- Check the plumber’s website and social media profiles. A professional online presence can indicate their commitment to their business.
- Response Time and Communication:
- Observe how quickly they respond to your inquiries. Good communication skills are essential for understanding your needs and providing updates during the project.
- Ask about Guarantees and Warranties:
- Inquire about warranties on labor and parts. Reputable plumbers offer guarantees for their work.
- Get a Written Contract:
- Before starting the project, ensure all details, including cost, scope of work, materials, and timelines, are outlined in a written contract.
Rough-in plumbing in the bathroom is an essential process as it determines how your bathroom works. The cost depends on various factors such as fixtures, their type as well as whether you are relocating your bathroom or building a new one. It is necessary to do due diligence before carrying out the process and compare the plumber’s charges.
Emma is a graduate of Domestic Science or Family and Consumer Sciences (Home Economics) from the University of Wisconsin. She has 7 years of experience Working with the strategic section of BestBuy and now writing full-time for Homeeon.
From Managing the Home, Interiors, Cleaning, and Exteriors to Gardening and everything about Making A Home Liveable – is her passion and this Homeeon is the result of this.
Emma loves decorating her home with the best stuff found online. She cares about quality over anything and writes reviews about them here in Homeeon. Get in touch with her over Pinterest.
Keep reading her blogs.