Last Updated on August 7, 2023 By Emma W. Thomas
No, you should not put paper towels in the oven as they can catch fire and cause a safety hazard. Paper towels are not oven-safe and can easily ignite at high temperatures.
Jump To A Section
Is It Safe To Put Paper Towels In The Oven?
We all wonder if we can put a paper towel in the oven. Paper towels are used for various cooking purposes like baking, storing, filtering, and soaking. As a result, sometimes we put the food in the oven along with a paper towel. This process is not recommendable as the paper towel can catch fire at any time. The fire can cause havoc and damage to the oven. It can cause a serious burn to the handler too.
Moreover, if not handled the fire quickly, it may spread in the kitchen and house gradually. So, a paper towel in the oven is not safe for you and your family too. Avoid putting a paper towel in the oven at any cost.
What To Use Instead Of Paper Towels In The Oven
Instead of using paper towels in the oven, consider using oven-safe alternatives that can handle high temperatures. Here are some options:
- Silicone Baking Mats: Silicone baking mats are heat-resistant and non-stick, making them ideal for lining oven trays. They can be reused and are easy to clean.
- Aluminum Foil: Aluminum foil is a common substitute for paper towels in the oven. It can be used to line baking sheets or cover food to prevent splatters.
- Parchment Paper: Parchment paper is oven-safe and works well for baking and roasting. It’s non-stick and can be used as a liner for baking sheets or to wrap food.
- Oven-Safe Cloth Towels: Look for oven-safe cloth towels made from materials like cotton or linen. These can be used to handle hot dishes or to absorb excess oil or liquids.
- Cast Iron or Oven-Safe Cookware: Instead of using paper towels to absorb excess grease, consider using cast iron pans or oven-safe cookware, which naturally absorb and distribute heat.
- Oven-Safe Dishes: Use oven-safe dishes or baking pans that don’t require paper towels as liners. These dishes can handle high temperatures without the need for additional insulation.
- Wire Racks: Place wire racks on baking sheets to elevate food, allowing air to circulate and preventing the need for paper towels for soaking up excess oil or juices.
- Cooking Spray or Oil Misters: Instead of using paper towels to grease baking sheets or pans, use cooking spray or oil misters for a non-stick surface.
- Reusable Silicone Food Storage Bags: For marinating or storing food in the oven, opt for reusable silicone food storage bags that are heat-resistant and can withstand oven temperatures.
- Wooden Cutting Boards: Use wooden cutting boards to rest hot dishes or pans, which also protects countertops and eliminates the need for paper towels as insulation.
What Are The Risks Of Putting A Paper Towel In The Oven?
A paper towel is combustible and can easily catch fire if heated for an extended time. A burning paper towel in the oven ignites the oven, causing a major fire hazard. The oven can burst out if exposed to fire. A paper towel generally does not catch fire at low temperatures. So, many people put paper towels in the oven and think that it is safe. But, if by any chance someone is not paying attention and keeps the paper towel for a long time, the tremendous heat produced by the oven can ignite the paper towel and cause a devastating accident. The paper towel ignites itself at 451oF. An oven can be heated up to 500oF. If the oven is overheated, then the paper towel in the oven can easily catch fire.
1. Fire Hazard
A paper towel is combustible. It catches fire at a temperature of 451oF. An oven heated more than this temperature causes the ignition of the paper towel. The paper towel burns to flames at a very high temperature. It will insist the fire to the oven and like any other electric tool, an oven will catch the spark and ignite itself.
2. Damage To The Oven
As we all know, a paper towel can cause the ignition to the oven. Even if we turn it off quickly and stop the fire, the oven will get seriously damaged internally. The oven will lose its functionality.
3. Electric BlowOut
As soon as the paper towel in the oven catches fire, the oven will burn too. The short circuits in the electric lines of the house will be cut due to the fire. The house will experience a sudden electric blowout.
The Risks Of Putting Paper Towels In The Oven And What To Use Instead
|Uses Of Paper Towels
|Risk Of Putting In The Oven
|What To Use Instead
|As a baking paper
|Generally, we bake at high temperatures. High temperature has the risk of over-heating and igniting the paper towel.
|Use aluminum foil, baking trays, baking sheets, and pans.
|As a coffee filter
|We use paper towels as an emergency coffee filter and put it in the oven to heat coffee. There is no risk in using it as a filter but avoid putting it in the oven as it can catch fire if not attended to.
|Use coffee filters
|They are used as a layer between trays and greasy food items.
|Use the paper towel only for soaking up the grease in the food. But if you put it in the oven, it can be ignited.
|Use aluminum foil.
The Uses Of Paper Towels
We all know that a paper towel might be the easiest and most convenient tool to use in the kitchen. Also, it is used for a variety of other things in our household.
- A paper towel is used as a wrapping for the loaves of bread. The bread will not get soggy in the freezer.
- A paper towel is used in a pinch as a substitute for coffee filters.
- The paper towel is used as a soaking paper for grease, gunk, oil, and water.
- The cast iron pans and dishes are rubbed with a paper towel. As paper towels are soft and tender, it does not wipe out cast iron on the pans.
- Paper towels work as a substitute for low-temperature baking. But this is not advisable because it can be ignited due to overheating.
- They are used for rubbing off the silk from the corn.
- A wet paper towel is used to cover up brown sugar. It helps to retain the moisture content of the sugar.
- The soft and natural properties of paper towels are helpful to store seeds and herbs.
We can finally understand that putting a paper towel in the oven would be a bad idea. There are many more cheap options to set your food and slide it into the oven, but a paper towel is not. One should use a paper towel only for storing or soaking purposes. It is not made for cooking as it can’t withstand the heat for cooking. Avoid using a paper towel in the oven for your safety.
Emma is a graduate of Domestic Science or Family and Consumer Sciences (Home Economics) from the University of Wisconsin. She has 7 years of experience Working with the strategic section of BestBuy and now writing full-time for Homeeon.
From Managing the Home, Interiors, Cleaning, and Exteriors to Gardening and everything about Making A Home Liveable – is her passion and this Homeeon is the result of this.
Emma loves decorating her home with the best stuff found online. She cares about quality over anything and writes reviews about them here in Homeeon. Get in touch with her over Pinterest.
Keep reading her blogs.