No, you should always go for a washing machine that has a delicate setting on it. The delicate cycle setting makes it easy to wash the clothes that are labeled as “Hand wash only.” The delicate cycle slow spins to extract water from the laundry. Hence, it keeps your delicate clothing safe from the regular spin cycle.
It is similar to washing your clothes in the sink by hand. Using the gentle squeezing action, the delicate cycle setting on a washing machine keeps the fabric of your laundry intact.
In today’s modern world, where technology is evolving, we have almost all machines for every work we do. Starting from elevators replacing the staircases to the ceiling fan in our room, machines are useful and help in reducing efforts. So are washing machines, they have reduced human efforts of washing clothes by hand for ages. Washing machines are a common electronic appliance that is found in every household. A regular washing machine comes with some of the wash cycle settings.
What Is The Delicate Cycle On Washing Machine And Why It Is Necessary To Have It?
Nowadays, people don’t have time to wash their clothes. Hence, they end up buying a washing machine to make their lives easier. If you’re someone who has an ample amount of time and patience for hand washing your clothes, then there’s no harm in doing so. Many people don’t want to risk their gentle fabric clothes in the washing machine and choose to wash from their hands. But washing machines have started coming with a “delicate cycle” setting that has replaced the concept of manually hand washing clothes.
Now the question arises, what the delicate cycle of the washing machines is? There are certain laundries that are labeled as “hand wash only.” So, what the delicate cycle does is that it helps in minimizing the agitation on the fabric. It is that setting on your washing machine that uses a slow wash cycle and spin cycle to extract water from laundry. The wash cycle under a delicate setting lasts for 4 to 7 minutes. It uses a gentle method of removing soil from the garment with water, detergent, and slow agitation.
Can You Wash Everything On Delicate Cycle Setting?
No, it is not recommendable to wash everything in a delicate cycle setting. The delicate cycle setting is designed for clothes that have delicate fabrics. You can only wash these types of garments using the delicate cycle mode:
1. Gym clothing should always be washed with a delicate cycle.
2. Sheer fabrics have the chance to stretch when used under a normal wash cycle. Hence, stockings, curtains, and pantyhose should be cleaned using a delicate cycle.
3. Undergarments and lingerie.
4. Sweaters and baby blankets are made of loosely woven items. The delicate cycle uses a slow spin cycle to extract water.
5. Silk, rayon, viscose, acrylics, and other synthetic items should never be washed using the regular wash cycle.
Purpose, Features, Usage, And Cleaning Techniques Of The Most Commonly Used Wash Cycles
To simplify your confusion, we have broken down the purpose, features, usage, and cleaning techniques of the most commonly used wash cycles in everyday life below:
|Type Of Wash Cycles||Purpose||Cleaning Process||Water Temperature||What Type Of Clothes To Wash|
|Regular/Normal cycle||Works best for durable fabrics such as cotton.||Makes use of fast spin cycle with faster agitation to remove soil.||Hot water for whites and cold water for colors.||Towels, socks, heavily soiled items, whites, and sheets.|
|Delicate/Handwash cycle||Works best for delicate items.||Makes use of slow rinse cycle with slower agitation to remove soil||Coldwater.||Silk, gentle fabrics, gym clothing, and items with “hand wash only” labels.|
|Permanent-press cycle||Works best for washing clothes that have the tendency to wrinkle easily.||Makes use of slow spin cycle with fast agitation.||Coldwater.||Non-cotton laundry, polyester, and jeans.|
Tips For Washing Your Clothes On Delicate Mode
All the delicate items have the tendency to break down when spinning in hot water and on agitating spin cycles. It is advisable to wash clothes in cold water when using the delicate cycle setting in your washing machine. Coldwater does not alter the color of your clothes. When using the delicate cycle setting, do not forget to use cold water with a short wash cycle.
You can also add your laundry to a mesh laundry bag. It will give some extra protection. It will prevent the clothes from shrinking and snagging. Put your undergarments in a mesh laundry bag and save your time from hand washing them. The delicate cycle setting is here to make your work easier.
For the delicate items or garments labeled as “hand wash only,” you can use different detergents that you use for regular clothing items. There are a lot of detergents available in the market that are specially designed for delicate fabric and color.
Never ever try to dry the delicate laundries in your washing machine. It is best to hand dry your hand-washed clothes. The dry setting can damage the fabric of your delicate clothing.
What Is The Best Setting To Wash Clothes On?
The movement and the spin timing inside the machine are completely dependent on the wash cycle setting. Settings that use more agitation to remove the soil from your garment turn out to be more aggressive on the fabric. Hence, selecting the appropriate washing cycle is essential to increase your clothes ’ longevity.
Remember, all washing cycles are not the same. They vary in efficiency, features, and capacity. The below-mentioned guide will help you understand the different wash cycle settings and help you chose the right wash cycle for your fabric.
1. The Delicate Cycle: Whenever you don’t have time to manually hand wash your clothes, you can use this setting. It gently washes your clothes in a shorter wash cycle. Garments made of silk, wool, fur, knits, cashmere, merino, faux including your lingerie should always be washed using the delicate cycle setting. Try putting the delicate items into a mesh laundry bag prior to washing.
2. The Speed Wash: In case you have an item such as a special shirt that you want to wash alone, you can go with the speed wash cycle instead of the full loads. The wash cycle is shorter and uses high-speed spin to shorten the drying time. it is not recommendable to wash heavily soiled clothes or your delicate laundries using the speed wash cycle setting.
3. The Normal Cycle: The normal cycle is a combination of high-speed spin and washes action. It is suitable for fabrics made of cotton. The cycle is harsher on clothes. You can wash your everyday laundry, durable synthetics, towels, socks, etc. using the normal cycle setting.
4. The Permanent-Press Cycle: The permanent-press cycle is well-suited for synthetic fabrics, blended fabrics, and wrinkle-free clothing. The cycle uses lower spin and warm water to remove soil from the clothes.
5. The Heavy-Duty Cycle: Garments that are heavily soiled can be cleaned using the heavy-duty cycle setting. The cycle makes use of a longer wash cycle and high-speed spin. The high agitation helps in removing moisture from the garments.
6. The Rinse And Spin: The regular cycle in a washing machine makes use of three processes, wash, rinse, and spin. The rinse and spin do not provide deep cleaning as it uses zero detergent powder. It simply rinses the garment with plain water and then spins to remove the moisture.
Hence, if you want a long life for your “hand washes only” garments, then you should definitely go for a washing machine that has a delicate cycle setting. It will make your work easier and you’ll end up saving a lot of your time.