Last Updated on March 8, 2021 by
Oven cleaners come in handy when we want to get rid of grease, grime, and dirt in our ovens. Sometimes when we have spillages and stains on kitchen countertops, oven cleaners sound like an easy way to clean them. Oven cleaners are made with some harsh chemicals that might react with some materials.
Before using an oven cleaner on your countertop, be sure to know of its possible side effects. Some oven cleaners react with most materials leaving behind permanent discoloration and stains. Specific oven cleaners do no erode countertops since they have gentle ingredients, but it’s hard to differentiate between toxic and safe ones. This post looks at the effects of oven cleaners on different materials, ingredients used in oven cleaners, and what to use when cleaning kitchen countertops. Read on!
Effect Of Oven Cleaners On Different Countertop Materials
As we’ve already mentioned, oven cleaners react differently on different surfaces, depending on their material. In this section, we look at the effect of oven cleaners on different countertop materials.
Wooden countertops have clear varnish or a coating that protects the wood from moisture, causing rotting. Oven cleaners have harsh chemicals that strip this coating when used on countertops. When you spray or apply an oven cleaner on a wooden surface, you’ll notice the varnish becoming sticky as its being stripped off. When an oven cleaner penetrates into the wood, it hardens it and sometimes causes bumps that are hard to repair. If you want to remove grease from a wooden countertop, use water and a dishwashing detergent instead of an oven cleaner.
Tips On How To Clean A Wooden Countertop
1. If stained, sprinkle lemon juice on the stain and scrub with a cleaning sponge to remove the stain.
2. Sand your countertops regularly and apply food-safe mineral oil after sanding. Doing this will get rid of any tough stains and keep your countertops refreshed. When sanding, a 120- grit sandpaper is recommended
3. Use a waterproof mat when handling messy tasks to keep your countertops mess-free. Ensure you clean up these countertops after every use.
4. For a gentle clean, use a wood surface cleaner with neutral pH and microfiber dusters on your wooden countertops.
Tiles are stronger and more enduring compared to wood, but oven cleaners also affect them significantly. Oven cleaners react with the grout in between the tiles and eat away the glossy finish on tiles. Not only will your countertops look ugly, but their functionality will also be affected. Corroded tiles harbor harmful microorganisms and bacteria, which can easily be transferred to your food. The damage caused by oven cleaners on tiled countertops is irreversible. To remove grease on tiles, use warm water and a gentle detergent.
Tips For Cleaning Tile Countertops
Ceramic tile kitchen countertops are prevalent in most homes, and cleaning them will leave your kitchen looking neat and free from bacteria.
1. Use a commercial tile cleaner for day to day cleaning or mix a cup of water with an equal amount of vinegar to remove germs
2. Use a soft brush and a mild bleach solution to clean grout and remove any particles on the grout
3. Seal the grout using a grout sealer to prevent stains or discoloration and damage on the grout
Marble And Granite Countertops
Countertops made from natural stone such as granite or marble look elegant and are easy to clean and maintain. Granite and marble can withstand the harsh chemicals present in an oven cleaner, but they may lose their sheen. Using an oven cleaner on these countertops leaves them spotted and dull-looking; it’s not recommended.
Tips For Cleaning Marble And Granite Countertops
1. Avoid any acidic cleaners such as bleach or vinegar on these surfaces since they cause dullness
2. Use a soft sponge or cloth instead of an abrasive sponge
3. Wipe up spills immediately to keep them from penetrating the countertop surface and avoid stains
4. Use mild detergent and warm water to clean these countertops and remove any oil stains. If you notice a stain on your countertop, use baking soda to treat the stain and remove it.
Laminate countertops are more enduring to an oven cleaner’s effects, with the only risk being possible discoloration. Spraying an oven cleaner on your laminate countertop then wiping down immediately cannot cause damage. If you wish to remove grease or oil on your laminate countertops, use water and some mild detergent.
An Alternative Method For Cleaning Your Kitchen Countertop
Ditch that oven cleaner for a natural cleaner on your kitchen countertops to cut on cost and protect your surfaces from harsh chemicals. Let’s see how you can use simple kitchen ingredients to make an efficient and natural cleaner.
What You’ll Need:
1. 1 cup of water
2. ¾ cups white vinegar
3. Spray bottle
1. Mix vinegar and water and put into the spray bottle
2. You can add a few drops of dishwashing liquid to restore sheen on your surface and extra cleaning
3. Spray this solution gently on your countertop and wipe off with a microfiber cloth. This solution can be used as an everyday cleaner on your kitchen countertops
To Remove Grease On Countertops, You’ll Need:
2. Baking soda
1. In a bowl, mix water and baking soda to make a thick paste.
2. Apply the paste on the oil or grease stains and cover with plastic wrap then leave overnight
3. Rinse off in the morning to get rid of the stain
4. This mixture can also remove ketchup and coffee
Oven cleaners are made with strong chemicals to remove stubborn stains and oil splatters in your oven. When applied to kitchen countertops, these chemicals can cause irreversible damage, and it’s not recommended. When using an oven cleaner, ensure you have gloves on to prevent skin irritation. We recommend using a mild countertop cleaner or make yours using the method we’ve shown for kitchen countertops. Making your cleaner guarantees your safety since you know what went into the cleaner and cut cost using readily available and affordable ingredients. We hope that this information has helped you understand why your oven cleaner should be left for oven cleaning only.ss