Have you ever been to a wedding where the bride looked so glamourous with a bouquet of neatly arranged flowers held tightly in their hands? Or did your new lover bring you flowers that made you fall deeper in love? If you have, its common to wonder how much it cost them to have those amazing blooms.
Bouquets cost anywhere between $30 and $250 depending on numerous factors that we’ll look at. You can get inexpensive bouquets at grocery stores such as Costco, trader joe’s, Kroger’s, whole foods, or Aldi. These places have cheaper bouquets compared to florists and better quality than supermarkets. You can get a bouquet from as low as $3.99 with the most expensive being about $20.
In today’s post, we take you through factors affecting the price of bouquets and everything you need to know before visiting your florist. Read on
How Much Does A Bridal Bouquet Cost?
Almost every girl dreams of holding her perfect bridal bouquet and tossing it at their wedding. If you are curious how much you are likely to spend on your big day, we got your back. According to professional wedding planners, flowers are amongst the highest expenses at a wedding. On average, couples spend about $100-$ 400 on the bridal bouquet alone. These costs vary depending on a few factors that can make you spend more or less.
Factors Affecting The Cost Of A Bridal Bouquet
1. Flower Season
Flowers have seasons and the price of the flowers you choose is highly impacted by seasonality. If you want a flower that is not in season, it will be scarce and more expensive. Always ask yourself whether the flowers you are choosing will be in season at your chosen wedding date. It would help to know flowers and their seasons to make a better decision.
Summer Wedding Flowers
Spring Wedding Flowers
Winter Wedding Flowers
Gerbera Narcissus Paper White
Fall Wedding Flowers
Celosia Orange gerbera
Calla lily Solidago
2. Type Of Flower Combinations For The Bouquet
Mixing flowers for a bridal bouquet is a trend that can help you cut costs. You can combine your favorite expensive flowers with more affordable ones to cut on cost. Mixing flowers compliments them and lowers your costs thus hitting birds with the same stone. You can mix rosses or casa Blanca lilies with baby breath to create an affordable yet popping bouquet. Always walk hand in hand with your florist to match your preferences to your budget.
3. Cost Of Stems
Different flowers are priced differently and if you want an affordable bouquet, you need to know your options.
For Extravagant And Glamourous Flowers
Casa Blanca lily Hydrangea
For Medium-Priced Yet Beautiful Flowers
Gerbera daisies Lilies
For Affordable And Gorgeous Flowers
4. Where flowers are sourced
Lately, there’s a craze about locally sourced flowers that are sustainably grown. If you plan to get on this trend, expect to pay more for locally sourced flowers. If you are looking to have an environmentally conscious wedding with sustainably grown local flowers, you might need a backup plan. This is because, in case of rapid weather changes, flower harvest might be affected thus affecting your order at the local farm.
5. Hiring A Florist Or DIY
If you want a professional to design and bring together your wedding bouquet, expect to part with more money. Hiring a florist means you are not only paying for flowers but for expertise, skill and their time. If you are on a budget and you consider yourself creative an artsy, take on the challenge and design your own bouquet. Doing so will cost you less and you’ll be proud to walk down the aisle with a bouquet you created from scratch. Making your own bouquet will cost you half of what you would pay to a florist. You can save more if you choose to DIY by using alternative materials in place of flowers for your bouquet. You can use ribbons, pearls, paper or wooden bouquets. The main advantage of such bouquet is they are not perishable and they can be kept for years as a memory.
When To Hire A Wedding Florist
If you have no idea about how to source or arrange your wedding flowers, it is safer to hire a professional florist. We recommend getting one six months before your wedding for easy planning and budgeting. When looking for a wedding florist, you need to be sure of your venue first. Reach out to different florists in your area, check their reviews and ratings then plan for meet ups to choose one you will work with. A florist will save you some hustle since they provide a lot of services that you won’t need to follow up on. Here’s a breakdown of services that a florist provides:
1. Consultation- after choosing a florist, you will have to meet up and discuss your vision for the wedding. Its at this point where you discuss details like color, preferred flower types and arrangement. Your florist then gives you a proposal, sample arrangements and prices for to choose what suits you. Ensure you ask all the crucial questions at this point to get all the information you need.
2. Getting flowers and processing them– purchasing flowers is the biggest part of the task for your florists and it takes up the largest share of your flower budget. Your florist will source flowers from wholesalers or growers. Florists will offer better quality flowers than those you find at grocery stores. These flowers are hand-picked and grown purposely for events décor. After sourcing for flowers, your florist then processes them in readiness for storage. This involves counting, taking thorns from roses, and preserving them in a cold room or refrigerated space for them to stay fresh and vibrant
3. Arrangement– this stage can be referred to as the production and labor stage. Your florist will take hours of keenness and creativity to arrange flowers for bouquets, centerpieces boutonnieres, and all those beautiful designs
4. Delivery and set up-on the actual wedding day, your florist will bring the arrangement to the venue and ensure everything fits in perfectly. At this point, what was on the proposal now comes to life. Your florist ensures the venue looks picture perfect and the flowers brighten up the mood.
5. Clean up and after-sales services– after the wedding, your florist team removes all the arrangements and cleans up the venue. This step is more reason why you need a florist. It saves you the hustle of worrying about clean up and you can head on to your honeymoon immediately.
Tips To Help You Save Money On Wedding Flowers
As you’ve already seen, the average price for wedding flowers is quite high. This should not discourage you from having your dream wedding. We have some tips to help you cut on budget while you still have beautiful flowers on your big day.
1. Choose flowers that are in season since they will be more affordable compared to off-season ones
2. Reuse your flowers at the ceremony and reception. Alter arrangements and bridesmaids’ bouquets can be moved to the reception venue where possible and repurposed to centerpieces.
3. Use candles, greenery, and other non-floral items to complement your flowers. Doing this will help you reduce the flowers you need.
4. Choose a garden wedding or a green venue. Garden venues have flowers already budgeted in their price plus the scenery will add to the beauty of flowers without much effort. Enquire with the venue about their floral arrangements and you could save a lot.
5. Limit your flower choices and buy in bulk. Choosing only three types of flowers will help you manage bulk buying which will cost less. Consult with your florist to ensure you get a bargain every step of the way.
6. Have a budget and be open-minded. With wedding flowers, there’s no upper limit on what you can spend. That means you need to work around a budget to figure out what works for you. Consult your florists and be ready to make necessary adjustments.
7. If you want those gorgeous but extravagant flowers, go for bud vases. These vases need just a few stems to fill and create beautiful focal flowers. They also add to the décor by their elegance and simplicity.
Flowers add onto the visual appeal of a space and create a beautiful ambience everywhere. Whether you are interested in a bouquet as a gift for your loved one or as an event bouquet, having a budget is key. It’s easy to spend all your money on flowers because they are gorgeous. but don’t forget you always need extras to go with the flowers. For events, you’ll need other services and while gifting, you need to accompany your bouquet with a gift or voucher.
We hope that you get some tips to help you make a smart buy and save some coins while at it.