Last Updated on August 17, 2023 By Emma W. Thomas
Use this Ultimate Home Maintenance Checklist:
- Regular HVAC filter changes
- Check for leaks and fix them promptly
- Test smoke/carbon monoxide detectors
- Inspect roofing for damage
- Clean gutters
- Service appliances
- Seal windows and doors
- Trim landscaping
- Test home security system
- Check fire extinguishers
Jump To A Section
Monthly Home Maintenance Checklist
Check HVAC filters monthly. Many will say to change your filters monthly, but that’s not always necessary. While checking if you find the filter dirty then change it. Try to clean your kitchen sink disposal once a month. There are various ways available to clean your kitchen sink disposal. The best and easiest solution seems to be vinegar ice cubes. First, put some vinegar in an ice tray and let it freeze, then run the ice cubes through the disposal. These vinegar ice cubes not only freshen the kitchen sink disposal but also sharpens the blades. Inspect your fire extinguisher every month. It’s a very easy process; make sure the gauge shows adequate pressure, and that it has no visible signs of wear and tear. Try to clean range hood filters every month. You can clean it simply using a degreaser from an auto parts store mixed with hot water.
Quarterly Home Maintenance
Check and test the smoke detectors. If the alarm goes off you’re good to go. If not then replace batteries immediately and test again. If it still doesn’t work then you are in need of a new detector. Make sure you check the garage door auto-reverse feature. Also, test the photo-electric sensors if you have them by placing something in front of them. If the door doesn’t go back up then it definitely has a problem and needs to replace it with a good one. Check sinks/water sources you don’t use on a regular basis. Run water and flush toilets to prevent grime or any other kind of buildup.
Biannually Home Maintenance
Check the water heater’s pressure relief valve and make sure you prevent mineral and corrosion buildup. It will also help your heater run more efficiently. Try to clean your house biannually with your family members. This will make it fun work. Don’t forget to change the battery of a smoke detector every six months. Clean and vacuum your refrigerator coils. If the coils get dirty then it will consume more electricity. So if you want to run your refrigerator as efficiently as possible then schedule a cleaning every six months.
Seasonal Home Maintenance Checklist
Dividing your home maintenance tasks by season can help reduce costs and keep things more manageable. Here is a checklist of home maintenance tasks for each season so you don’t get overwhelmed.
Summer is the perfect time for your home’s exterior maintenance. It’s also a perfect time to look after your lawn and garden. Here are the things that you should take care of during the summer season:
- Repair the home’s siding and paint the exterior if needed
- Clean and repair your outside deck
- Wash and apply a sealant to wood fences
- Flush out your water heater to empty the residue
- Clean rubbish from window wells
Spring is a perfect time for home maintenance. During the spring season try to give more focus on the exterior of your home as it’s just gone through winter and is preparing for summer heat and, brutal humidity.
- Clean the gutters with a water hose and make sure that they drain
- Check the exterior siding for damage and do a repair where needed
- Check the roof for shingles, flashing, and vents for damage
- Clean and replace window screens
- Trim back trees if needed. For branches near power lines, call the electric company for trimming
Winter season is the time when you focus on the interior of your home and check for any little maintenance. If you need any interior maintenance like building shelves, painting rooms, or changing decoration then it is the perfect time to do it.
- Check the ladder for gutters and the lower roof for ice dams; remove them properly
- Check the covers of faucets and make sure they have noticed up
- Check that the covers are still on the outside hose bibs (faucets) and that they have noticed up
- Clean the basement, garage, and other interior spaces that were ignored during warm, sunny months
Fall is the season when you’re finishing up your summer home maintenance jobs and preparing your home for the winter season. Don’t ignore the winter preparation as cold, snow, and rain can damage your house if not prepared well.
- Check the sump pump and test if the pump turns on
- Take out the window screens and store them in a safe place
- If possible then install the storm windows
- Remove window unit air conditioners
- Call in furnace service and have them perform annual maintenance
- Clean the chimney of your house. If needed call in a chimney cleaning service
- Winterize faucets by protecting them with foam covers
- Remove leaves and rubbish from garden ponds and pool
Finally, it’s not a complete list of all the things you can do for your home. But it will help you start the process. Still, if you are uncertain then take an expert opinion before starting your home maintenance procedure.
Emma is a graduate of Domestic Science or Family and Consumer Sciences (Home Economics) from the University of Wisconsin. She has 7 years of experience Working with the strategic section of BestBuy and now writing full-time for Homeeon.
From Managing the Home, Interiors, Cleaning, and Exteriors to Gardening and everything about Making A Home Liveable – is her passion and this Homeeon is the result of this.
Emma loves decorating her home with the best stuff found online. She cares about quality over anything and writes reviews about them here in Homeeon. Get in touch with her over Pinterest.
Keep reading her blogs.